Friday, June 20, 2008

Arrived

Tuesday, June 10th: I arrived in Delhi last night at 8:30, and after a 14 hour flight, the customs process was thankfully quick, and the organization's driver Pradeep was there waiting for me. My Fletcher classmate, friend, and fellow intern, Maria Luisa, was also there which was a fantastic way to arrive.

We wove our way back to the B&B where we are staying until we find an apartment or decide to stay here. A B&B here means you pay per person per night, and it adds up to Boston-level rent (at their discount price).

Many friends from India told me I’d be surprised by the smells here. Well, on the airplane I sat right by the bathroom for 14 hours so the smells here have been comparatively lovely. The smells here remind me of Kenya so it’s familiar and not unpleasant. I know in Kenya the smell was generated from burning trash…I’m not sure what it’s from here, as I’ve only seen it in the dark.

Wow. I’m exhausted. I wanted to write more, but am going to head to sleep and will try to keep going tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sarah Labowitz said...

What a treat! Thanks for sharing your blog and your insights into Indian culture this summer!